"Like it" on Facebook
Consultations | Fees | Lectures and Workshops
To arrange a consultation, you can contact Patrice Berque on 01360 621896 or 07766 687578.
Appointments available within 24 to 48 hours of first contact. Assessment sessions last 60 minutes, and return appointments 45 minutes.
Appointments will cost £40, but funding schemes and special rates apply for students and for musicians with financial difficulties.
Patrice Berque is a chartered physiotherapist specialised in assessing and treating injuries and playing-related musculoskeletal disorders affecting musicians and performing artists. Consultations will involve a clinical examination to determine the cause of the complaint and associated risk factors.
Patrice has published several scientific papers on focal dystonia, and offers treatment and rehabilitation for task-specific dystonia affecting musicians, also called musician's dystonia.
Patrice will provide management plans and advice on prevention of musculoskeletal disorders. The most common complaints of musicians are:
- Acute injury affecting muscles and tendons.
- Rehabilitation post orthopaedic surgery.
- Overuse injuries.
- Neck and back pain.
- Muscle balance problems and movement dysfunction.
- Nerve entrapment syndromes.
- Focal hand dystonia.
- Embouchure problems affecting wind and brass players.
- Playing posture with attention to instrumental technique.
- Ergonomics of playing an instrument.
- Health education and prevention of injury and playing-related musculoskeletal disorders.
To gain a better understanding of these complaints, you can go to the Health Advice section of this website to download advice sheets and to view health education lectures done by Patrice on these topics.
- Assessment (60 minutes) / treatment session (45 minutes): £40. You may qualify for financial help if you are a student or a professional orchestra player.
- Discounted rate: £30. This may apply to students not covered by the Help Musicians UK Scheme, and to performing artists experiencing financial difficulties. This will need to be discussed with Patrice Berque at your first consultation.
- Payments to be made by cheque or cash only.
- The clinic is registered with all major health insurance companies, including
BUPA, AVIVA, AXA PPP, WPA, CIGNA, Standard Life.
Lectures and Workshops
Patrice Berque is available for lectures on health education and prevention of playing-related musculoskeletal disorders. These lectures are based on the latest scientific evidence, and aim to:
- Introduce the most common types of injuries and musculoskeletal disorders affecting musicians and performing artists.
- Discuss the risk factors of these playing-related musculoskeletal disorders.
- Present management strategies.
- Discuss prevention: playing posture, ergonomics of playing, modification of practice habits.
You can view powerpoint presentations of these lectures in the Health Advice section.
If you wish, these lectures can be followed by a workshop or practical session to demonstrate the following topics:
- Warm-up and stretches exercises.
- Sitting posture, including chair adaptations.
- Playing posture specific to each instrument group, with identification of muscle imbalance issues.
- Demonstration of basic core stability concepts and exercises for the spine and upper limb.
- Anatomy of breathing and breathing patterns, especially for wind and brass players.
- Ergonomics of playing an instrument, with discussion on instrument modifications.
If you want Patrice Berque to provide a lecture within your organisation, you can contact him on 01360 621896 or 07766 687578. Fees will be negotiated according to your request.
Back to top
40 Edington Street
Glasgow G4 9RD (Map)
Torrance Dental Practice
22/24A Main St
Torrance G64 4EL